The cons and cons of YouTube
Elizabeth explains the drama-soaked world of YouTube and the false promise of the American dream through the lens of the debacle known as Tanacon. Part 1 of 2, with a special guest appearance by Kyle Marshall.
Here are links to things we referred to:
- VidCon, the YouTube conference
- Our guest Kyle Marshall’s YouTube channel
- Kyle also owns Media Lab YYC, and has three podcasts in the Alberta Podcast Network: Assumptions, Putting It Together and Creative Block
- Hank Green’s vlogbrothers, Crash Course and SciShow
- Tana Mongeau’s YouTube channel
- “Why I Won’t Be Attending VidCon 2018: A Rant”
- The only thing you see if you visit tanacon.com
- Shane Dawson’s The Truth about Tanacon
- Tana’s apology video: Tanacon: The good, the bad, and the ugly
- New York Magazine: A Mouth to Hell Opened This Weekend at Tanacon, a Fyre Festival for the YouTube Set
- In case you forgot about Fyre Festival
- PodCon, a much better convention that we were lucky enough to attend last year.
Stick around beyond the end for more baritone goodness from Kyle.
This episode was brought to you by LitFest, Canada’s original nonfiction festival, which runs in Edmonton from Oct. 11 to 21. Use the offer code APNROCKS to get $5 off your ticket purchase.
This episode is also brought to you by Back to School Again, a new affiliated podcast of the Alberta Podcast Network, featuring stories of people returning to post-secondary studies in midlife.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin.