The Holy Trinity of YouTube Gaming
Elizabeth discusses Markiplier, Jacksepticeye and PewDiePie, the Father, Son and Unholy Spirit of Let’s Play videos. What accounts for their popularity? What can and should they do with their influence? And why is Karen so goth in this episode?
Here are some of the things we talk about:
- Ahrefs top YouTube searches
- What is a Let’s Play?
- Our indie video games episode
- Our Fortnite episode
- How Minecraft broke YouTube
- The trinity: Markiplier, Jacksepticeye and PewDiePie
- Our memes episode, which mentions Markiplier E
- SocialBlade’s YouTube stats
- Catalyst Theatre’s Vigilante
- On the Media: The Global Culture War for YouTube Supremacy
- Game Theory by Matpat
- Freaky Friday: the original and the remake
- Riley J. Dennis
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- ATB’s The Branch for Arts and Culture, where you can find Ben Spencer (listen to his new album, Bungalows!)
- The Edmonton Community Foundation, home of The Well Endowed Podcast, including Episode 38 with friend of the show Paula Simons.
We’re doing a live show! Join us March 17 for That’s a Thing?! Live: The Internet is My GSA at SkirtsAfire, a festival featuring women in theatre and multidisciplinary arts. We’ll start with a discussion of the internet as a place for LGTBQ+ youth to find themselves and each other, and then we’ll have a panel discussion with Sara Vickruck and Anais West of Poly Queer Love Ballad, Harley Morison of Cardiac Theatre, and the festival’s 2019 Honorary Skirt, Marni Panas.
A special offer for you from SeatGIANT, the Canadian ticket resale marketplace: Use the offer code “apn” at checkout to get 5% off your purchase. You’ll be helping yourself while helping the network.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Questions? Comments? Email us at email@example.com or tweet at us: @thatsathingyeg.
Many thanks to Unit B Coworking for the recording space and to our podcast host, Transistor.
Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin.