An exit interview with the grads
Karen quizzes Elizabeth and Jon about the end of their high school and junior high years, as the strangest school year ever comes to a close. Also, Elizabeth’s Pride Month recommendations.
Here are links to the things we mentioned:
- The kids were not into celebrity grad ceremonies.
- Elizabeth got Jon to read American Gods.
- We read Frankenstein out loud after reading Welcome to Night Vale.
- Alberta Ballet’s Frankenstein was really good.
- There is a movement afoot to rename the Oliver neighbourhood due to Frank Oliver’s racist harm. Find more at #UncoverOliver.
- Let’s Find Out did an episode on the KKK in Edmonton and an update.
- We talked about school resource officers, or SROs, who have been stationed at some Edmonton schools since 1979. Lots has happened on this file, and the story is evolving. Some background:
- CBC: School board to reconsider school resource officer motion following trustee resignation
- Edmonton Journal: Edmonton Public School Board chair pushing for re-vote on suspending the SRO program
- Bashir Mohamed’s SRO research and commentary is compiled in his Edmonton Anti-Black Racism Toolkit.
- Speaking Municipally discussed the issue in Episode 90.
- Recommended reading and watching for Pride Month:
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- World on Fire from CBC Edmonton
- Straight from the CPA’s Mouth from the CPA Education Foundation and the Hesje CPA Knowledge Centre
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network: Locally grown. Community supported.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.
Many thanks to Transistor for hosting our show
Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin.