But make it fashion
The moon is hexed, the witches are vexed and scene kids keep typing in L337 text. So, what’s up with that? We dive into the complex and often overlapping realms of fashion and subculture.
Here are links to the things we mentioned, plus some extras that were in our heart:
- Article about the moon incident
- Wikipedia, a reliable resource for research
- The Twitter thread in question
- Urban dictionary entries for speedcore, nightcore and hardcore
- Don’t forget mumblecore (Karen didn’t)
- The kidcore aesthetic
- The cottagecore aesthetic
- The witchcore aesthetic
- Urban dictionary discusses goth, punk, scene, emo and hipster
- The Articles of Interest episode on punk style
- Jana Pruden’s obit for Mr. Chi Pig
- Mal Blum
- On Nostalgia by David Berry
- Goths by the Mountain Goats
- Worst Year Ever podcast on furries fighting the alt-right
- YouTube documentary on furries
- “Fly Me to the Moon” parody
- Our lost media episode
- That dark academia quiz
- Fun dark academia activities to do
- Article with the Alison Bechdel quote and the picture
- That moth meme.
- Cottagecore TikToks!
- WitchTok on gatekeeping
- WitchTok on appropriation
- Kat Blaque on YouTube
- Reply All on appropriated ball culture (starts at about 17:55)
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- Straight from the CPA’s Mouth from the CPA Education Foundation and the Hesje CPA Knowledge Centre
- Putting It Together, which had Karen on to talk about Who’s That Woman? from Follies.
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network — Locally grown. Community supported.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Questions? Comments? Email us at email@example.com or tweet at us: @thatsathingyeg.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.
Many thanks to Transistor for hosting our show
Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin.