Bury me in analog
Can a podcast be haunted? No, that’s very silly and wouldn’t be scary at all. A cassette tape, on the other hand… Elizabeth and Karen dial in to the world of analog horror, what it is, what it could be, and why going low-tech ups the scare factor.
Here are some of the things we mentioned in this episode:
- Black Mirror, a crowning jewel of “phones bad” cinema
- VCR versus VHS, a distinction that was lost on Elizabeth
- Land of the Giants episode on the iPhone
- The TV Tropes page on Analog Horror
- Aidan’s analog horror video
- An analysis of Lovecraft’s Eldritch Horror
- And some more analysis
- The SCP foundation
- Local 58
- Mothman, the best boy
- Remember Professor Kitzel?
- Public/Community access TV
- The Walten Files Episode 1
- How the original FNAF uses sound to terrify
- Ben Drowned, the story of a haunted game cartridge
- Cassette, an early Welcome to Night Vale episode
- An important message from Omega Mart
- Makeshift Stories
- An episode of Paranormal Paranoids (complete with earwormy theme song)
- The Power of VHS by hbomberguy
- The cinematic potential of cave art
- Control, Anatomy and the Legacy of the Haunted House by Jacob Geller
- Tsukumogami and Mokumokuren
- Do not adjust your podcast feed because next month we’ll be tuning in to another piece of art with opinions about technology, Steven Spielberg and Tobe Hooper’s PG powerhouse, Poltergeist.
Many thanks to our sponsors:
Also, if you live in Edmonton and are listening to this before Oct. 18, 2021, fill out the Taproot Survey.
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network — Locally grown. Community supported. (Shout-out to fellow member I Love This, You Should Too!)
You can follow us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.