TikTok bops and the transformation of pop
Our first episode on TikTok discussed the app as a cultural phenomenon, but what about *art*? We look at how music has shaped TikTok and how the app has come to rule the charts. Also, Elizabeth progresses her redemption arc.
Here are links to the things we mentioned:
- It’s been a long time since we talked about pop music
- RIP CJYR, radio station of Karen’s youth
- Also RIP Video Hits and Good Rockin’ Tonite
- Billboard Hot 100
- Hit Parade on one-hit wonders
- One Hit Wonderland by Todd in the Shadows
- Mothica’s duck kettle
- Laxed [SIREN BEAT] by Jawsh 685
- Jason Derulo’s Savage Love, which made Todd in the Shadows’s worst hit songs of 2020
- Eyes Blue Like The Atlantic
- Eyes Blue Like The Atlantic, Pt. 2
- The Powfu hit with the beabadobee hook
- Lil Nas X, who is not a one-hit wonder, loves Fenty, and designs fashion
- Megan Thee Stallion #bodychallenge
- The Karens episode, where we talked about internet shorthand
- Example of TikTok outfit transitions
- List of TikTok music trends
- If the world was ending, you’d come over, right? No.
- Hayloft on TikTok
- Space Girl by Frances Forever
- Our feelings on TikTok are more nuanced than before
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- Edmonton Community Foundation and The Well-Endowed Podcast
- Edmonton Heritage Council and the call for E-CAMP contributors (deadline to apply is Jan. 8, 2021)
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network — Locally grown. Community supported.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.
Many thanks to Transistor for hosting our show. Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin, from Free Music Archive.