We love you (but not like that)
In this feature-length epic, Elizabeth and Karen dive deep into the puzzle of parasocial relationships. How bad can they really be? How do we fix them? And most importantly, won’t somebody think of the children?!
Here are the things we mentioned in the episode:
- Triple H: The counterculture-to-corporate pipeline
- Some influencers use their power for good — e.g. Linda Hoang
- Karen doesn’t fangirl about podcasts, but she does recommend them on CBC Radio Active on the first Monday of the month, or on Fridays in The Pulse
- Parasocial interaction
- Kat Blaque, Princess Weekes, and Tee Noir — left-wing YouTubers of colour, among many
- Dream, Wilbur Soot, TommyInnit, Tubbo — gaming YouTubers who’ve exploded in popularity
- Callback to our episode on PewDiePie, jacksepticeye, and Markiplier
- CallMeCarson (and cancelled)
- ARGs, and the Wiki for Wilbur Soot’s game
- Callback to our Among Us episode
- Corpse has amassed a massive, active fanbase
- Corpse’s Spotify page
- The polls exploit in the YouTube Algorithm
- Raid: Shadow Legends and the controversy around it
- Whang! is entertaining, not scrupulous
- Everything goes back to Harold Innis
- Callback (way back) to our Tide Pods episode
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- NAIT’s Career Essentials podcast
- Searching for Izena
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network — Locally grown. Community supported.
You can subscribe to us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Questions? Comments? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet at us: @thatsathingyeg.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.
Join our commune here!
Many thanks to Transistor for hosting our show. Our theme music is Ragtime Dance by Scott Joplin, from Free Music Archive.