What if TV but too much? This and many other important questions are kinda-sorta-almost answered on the scarier side of the Summer of Spielberg. Elizabeth and Karen puzzle their way through Poltergeist in this 100% not-haunted Halloween episode.
For more fears and jeers, consider the following:
- Callback to our episode on Inside
- Callback to our episode on analog horror
- A needlessly thorough Wikipedia synopsis
- A list of other Bechdel Test passing movies
- Bathtubs Over Broadway and the consequences of comedy damage
- Check out Nyx Fears if you want to be upset/fascinated by scary movies
- A thread on the pitfalls of smarty pants protagonists
- If you didn’t watch Contingency after last episode, go watch it now!
- Pauline Kael was even harsher to this movie than Elizabeth was
- The rating debate
- Poltergeist was fine, but here’s some movies we actively recommend
- The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (1920, 100% mom safe)
- What We Do in the Shadows (2014, comedic gore/violence)
- The Lighthouse (2019, gore/violence/sexual content/psychological horror)
- House on Haunted Hill (1959, campy and delightful)
- Night of the Living Dead (1968, gory and violent, mitigated by its age and budget)
- The Girl with all the Gifts (2016, violent and gory, but strangely uplifting)
- Music is Now or Never by Myuu, who is a fantastic royalty-free composer
- Sound clips from our special feature courtesy of:
Many thanks to our sponsors:
- Alberta Association of Optometrists
- APN itself, in particular Speaking Municipally and I Love This, You Should Too
That's a Thing?! is a proud member of the Alberta Podcast Network: Locally grown. Community supported.
You can follow us in all the places, and most of them let you rate and review, too, which would be lovely.
Do you want a That’s a Thing?! button? Send us your address by Twitter DM or email and we will send you one.